The Citadel of Qaitbay is a still standing 15th century fortress on the Mediterranean coast in North Egypt. It was built in 1477 by Sultan Al-Ashraf Sayf al-Din Qa’it Bay on the exact site where the Lighthouse of Alexandria (one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World) once stood.
Due to its location, the fortress was an extremely important defensive stronghold, for whoever would occupy it. The Ottoman Turks, the French and the Egyptians all had their turn and changed the Citadel to accommodate their needs. Nowadays, it’s a museum.
We are not responsible for the contents of external links. Full disclaimer can be found here.
Photo Credits / Sources:
By Ahmed Younis Sif Saad (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons